I signed up for online classes, with the expectation that I would be able to do my own schoolwork. This would mean that I wouldn't have to do "group" projects or interact with other humans. It would also save on daycare expenses.
Am I ever surprised! Seemingly, I have signed up to do the exact opposite. I am required to interact with my online classmates 5 times per week per assignment(times 2 classes=tons of online time). Additionally, I need to do a weekly group assignment, where one of the group members "leads" the discussion, formulates a response from the discussion details and then turns it in to the instructor for grading.
I am also required to follow the class discussions. Ok--I can do this--open email box--104 new messages--since yesterday. WT? Should I determine if T-Mobile can send these via text message? Because there is no way that I can read 104 messages daily and still have time to do all the other things life requires...i.e. use the bathroom, get the mail, have any kind of life, etc.
I thought I signed up for college...not a hand-holding course. I am a big girl now, and my hope was that would be reflected in my coursework--that I would complete by myself. I recognize that in the real world, we are required to work in groups, however, I am uncomfortable with the fact that someone else could largely be responsible for a portion of my GPA.
Maybe I am way off base here(which has happened before), however, if I realized the time investment of taking 2 online classes, I may have quit my job, racked up the student loans and gone back Full-Time, while allowing my kids to sit in a daycare!
Anyone else have similar experiences, or I am just expecting too much?? or maybe you are loving the online gig??
No comments:
Post a Comment