Thursday, December 3, 2009

Adoption

We are in a small group with two other couples from our church family. Between the 3 families we have 8 kids age 5 and under! It makes for some awesome times.


Recently, we decided that we should look outward, and find a family in need to "adopt" for the holiday season. As with any adoption(just speculating here...), numerous questions came to mind such as: will this family want our help? will the offers of help make an impact? will they want to continue the relationship after the holidays? what does the adoption include? will we give gifts from Santa? will God direct our steps(shouldn't he always?)?

Our Community Care Director at church set our small group up with a young couple with two small children. Numerous circumstances have compounded to get them into the situation that they are in today. They have food, and a roof over their heads, but no idea where the rent money is coming from. Thankfully, they have qualified for some public assistance, but due to the housing crisis and current status of the economy they are at the end of a long list of people crying out for help to keep the roof over their heads.

I have spoken to this couple a few times on the phone...gathering their Christmas lists and talking about needs.

Little Girl Age 2
Baby doll
clothes
hair things

Little Boy Age 1
clothes
socks
boy toys

Mom and Dad
rent
toilet paper
laundry soap
dish soap

I am 28, and I am young and stupid and naive and spoiled. Never in my life have I had to ask for toilet paper for Christmas. Or rent for heaven's sake.

My heart was broken.

And soon repaired. At least for now. Today.

Allen and I brought the list to our small group. As the 6 adults around the table looked at the list...we all came to the same conclusion--Christmas would be pretty sad, if the rent wasn't paid.

I got on the phone and called the family. The church could do $100. Five or six other agencies said they had to "wait". Who can wait when the late fee is $50 a week?

One man in the small group said he and his wife could do $100. Then another and another. And just like that the rent was paid.

I called the family back. I told her the news. She said "thank you". And then she said, "I don't know what to say." I said, "tell me you'll try to sleep tonight."

Maybe some of the adopted families gifts under the tree will be secondhand to make up for the money spent on the rent. Maybe they will unwrap toilet paper--and it will be the best gift ever given.

My gift was someone stepping up instead of looking away.

2 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder in this season. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys for helping out in such an amazing way. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete