Hmmm...well truth be told, I am a little disappointed in the Black Friday deals this year. I am not sure exactly what I was looking for, but whatever it was, I didn't find it.
The thrill of the hunt, I think, is what I was seeking. Typically, Allen and I will get up before the sun dawns to find many a treasure. Walmart price matches, so we start there. Then Target. Then to Northtown or Rosedale before the sun is even up. But this year was different.
I have decided to pare down what I purchase--and with that came the let down of not buying every little thing advertised in each store circular. I have learned to not do when your kids are young that which you cannot continue as they become teenagers. Now it is Transformers and Elmo--in ten years--it will be cars and jet skis. Hmm...food for thought. I have learned that the $50 toy that looks so amazing now looks pretty dismal and sad a week after Christmas is over. My kids literally want for nothing(although they may speak differently)
Diego's Rescue Center $49(two weeks playtime)
Tinkerbell Costume $29(one week playtime)
Entire Disney Movie Collection $1105(once or twice each)
Playing with the wrapping paper and boxes=Priceless
So what if there is less under the tree. We need to be thankful that we have a tree at all. Let alone the roof that is over it. Or the meal cooking in the next room. Or the family sitting beside it. Or the little red-headed preschooler crawling up it.
I am ashamed of my past behavior and nods to exceptional consumerism.
This year is different. I will cut back. And donate the rest to those who don't have.
I agree!! We went to an alternative gift market at a church in stillwater last weekend that was fair-trade, proceeds went to non profits, etc. We spent a fraction of what we normally spend and felt good about where the money we spent was going (and we got to avoid the malls :)). We told Mike's family to please not buy too much for River because that's not what Christmas is all about and I don't want him to always expect lots of gifts at Christmas time..or any other time. I want him (and us) to be thankful for what we have!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a tough mindset to hold in our culture! We just decided yesterday to give Gabe his birthday present for Christmas instead as we felt that he had enough with his new trike from Grandpa and Grandma. You are quite right...it is sad to see it all go on the garage sales for pennies after we have worked hours buy.
ReplyDeletethat was exactly my christmas thought this year!
ReplyDelete