Saturday, November 13, 2010

White as Snow

November is usually gross. It is grey and overcast and just plain gross. This November has been different. The sun has shone. 7 days ago, I went to a garage sale. I got a cute lamp, a sweater and 2 dresses.

2 days ago, it was 69 degrees. I turned on the air conditioning in my van.

Today, I woke up to my 3 year old screaming with delight, directly into my face and spitting on me(not intentionally), that there is snow outside, let's go play!

The snow is blowing, swirling, twisting around out there. The temperature is 22 degrees with a windchill. I haven't used the term windchill since February.

Our new floors were scheduled to get installed today. The floor guy cannot make the drive. He drove for 45 minutes and made it 15 miles.

We are supposed to be heading out to a benefit for a close friend--it starts at 4pm. With 3 kids, I am not sure it is worth the risk. I feel bad not attending, but on the other hand, do we as human place so much importance on our own presence that others wouldn't really notice if we weren't there? Or is it ownership? Or would they notice?

The snow has us grounded in a sense.

Remember as a kid, you begged and pleaded with God for a snow day? The kind of day where all of commerce was shut down and you got to go out and throw snowballs and then mom would make hot chocolate while your mittens hung in the foyer dripping over the heat register.

The kind of day where for no other reason, you are excused from all activities other than to just 'be'.

With God, everyday is a snow day.

"Though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." Isaiah 1:18

Your sin is gross like the November day--overcast and depressing. God turns it into that beautiful fresh fallen snow, white and clean, with nothing else to do that rejoice in the fact that it is a snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment