Now I love my kids, don't get me wrong, but you know the kind of day where you get out of bed--and before they are all awake you know it is going to be one of those days?
Yesterday was one of those days. So I was determined to make today great, as only I can. Today was also not great. I have pretty good kids all around. Sure the baby was caught two weeks ago, filling the toilet with clean tp and then plunging it down, but all in all they are good. Ask my sister--she doesn't really like kids--and she says they are good.
Before my shower, I tell the older ones to get dressed and get their teeth brushed...I shower. I return to the upstairs...they are lounging in their pj's. Calmly, I ask them to get ready...I retreat to the basement to finish getting ready. I begin the climb upstairs and hear scattering...they are now moving to get ready. I tell them to brush their teeth--they break down crying that they haven't eaten yet :( This is going nowhere fast. 45 minutes later, we are out the door.
We get in the car. Crying. Fists. Seatbelts flying. Someone steals a 'jewel' from someone else. Not in that order. ARGH! This is where I lose it for the first time today: Idon'tcarewhodidwhattowhojustgetinyourseatsbeforeIbegintoflipout. Begin? That was 40 minutes ago...I am just great (err....ok) kinda ok at disguising it. But nonetheless, sit down!
I go do the one errand in town, and determine that this day is exactly like yesterday. At 6pm yesterday I threw in the towel. It is 10:05 a.m., and I am delightfully throwing in the towel. There is laundry to be washed, dried, folded and put away. There are bills waiting to be mailed. Food waiting to be thawed and cooked. Work to be done on my latop that is dying a miserable death. All these things begging--no crying out--for me to do them. And you know what? I am human. A wife. A mother. A producer. A store owner. A maid, drycleaner, friend, sister, daughter and the list goes on and on.
Today, and maybe tomorrow, I cannot be everything to everyone. So just for today--if it's okay with you--I am throwing in the towel. I am just going to be mom.
Until 3 pm. When. I. Get. To. Leave. And be something else.
And then when I return around 830pm, I will hopefully be human again. The green tentacles will have retreated back to blonde and chestnut lowlights. The fangs will just be teeth. The talons will be short, poorly manicured nails(kinda bitten). And then fur will be replaced with my skinny jeans and cute boots.
Being a mom is great. Turning into a monster while you are a mom is not. Today (and yesterday) I threw in the towel. Because being everything to everyone, isn't as great as being the best thing to your someones.
No comments:
Post a Comment