Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back to school...

As many of you know I have decided to homeschool my kids this year--for a variety of reasons. The first two weeks have gone surprisingly well. Logan and Kjirsten beg to 'do school' at all hours of the day and night, and little chubba bubba, Silas, well he gets into everything that he should not during school hours.

I had every intention of doing the school gig in the basement, away from the real-life chaos of the kitchen, etc. That lasted for less than one day, as Silas made friends with the kitty litter box, XBOX 360, the movie screen, crawl space and downstairs toilet. He is also quite clever at crawling up the stairs when no one is looking. Going down the stairs is another matter entirely...one which should not be discussed because it will tarnish my parental record.

We moved the school room back upstairs into my office, which allows for door-shutting at the end of the day. This also helps to allow little bubba chubba to play in his room, his siblings room or anywhere he pleases, as we are baby proofed on the upper level.

So far I am appreciating my kids--there are many things I never knew they knew--only because I never asked. This deal has required me to plan and think outside the box. I am hoping they are more challenged than I. However, I am sure there will be days when that is not the case!

Anyone out there have a kid who is tall for their age? Kjirsten is. I have to constantly remind myself that she is 3, and only 4 inches shorter than Logan, who is now 5. I have to do a reality check when she loses patience with things more quickly than he does. But also remind myself to rejoice that God knit her together the way she is for a reason.

Next year, when she is taller than me, I am sure we will both be more patient. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment