Friday, August 6, 2010

Skateboarding

Hmmm...my son wants to skateboard. I did what any mother would do--I bought him a skateboard for 50 cents at a garage sale. How can I be sure this is the real deal? I mean it could be a passing fancy like moon sand, Bendaroos or fill in the blank with any of the 'as seen on TV' infommercial garbage for 19.95.

We pull in the driveway. The neighbor kid (going into 7th grade) is standing on his skateboard at the top of our driveway about to go down and pull a sweet jump off his wooden ramp which is positioned in the middle of our quiet street. Logan is in awe. His mouth drops. And he gives me the good ole "ahhh mom!". Then he proceeds to tell me the numerous reasons why he should be skateboarding with the neighbor who would probably rather skate with anyone but the 5 year old across the street kid who has never stood on anything but his own two feet.

We get out of the van--I wrestle grocery bags, baby(now sleeping), blankie, purse, cell phone, keys, mail, and said 5 year old begging me to come out to the middle of the street with him to explain to the 12 year old why the 5 year old should have him as a coach.

I dump off the bags, baby(still sleeping even in spite of 5 year olds begging! Bonus! PTL!), blankie which now covers baby, purse which is full of honey(inside only), keys also covered in honey, mail, and the 5 year old who follows(still whining).

So in order to shut-up the 5 year old...who can handle all the whining? I walk across the street and introduce myself as the old lady who doesn't want to teach her kid how to skateboard because I am old, out of shape, off balance and it may kill me. The 12 year old, who I learn is Jonathan, tells me that "yeah, I can show him some stuff". PTL, again! I leave the 5 year old in the street with Jonathan and take my place on the curb.

After some time, I am told that Logan's board is "kinda junky". A new kid has joined the group and he informs me that they have boards for "ten dollars at Target"...and they are better than the 50 cent one my kid is riding. Jonathan tells me that a pro-board would start at 80 bucks--for a 'kinda junky' one. WT?

Logan's wheel falls off. Ok, I am a believer. I guess if he is serious about this, I probably should at least spring for the $10 board.

Day 2: Logan is sweaty faced and stinky. The sweat dripping off his brow is mixing with the dust in the air to form streams of slimy dirty mud running down his temples. Icky, but boy nonetheless!

The neighborhood 12 year olds have worked miracles and replaced the wheels on 'kinda junky'.

In the meantime, they have loaned Logan a pro-board. He is actually really good. I am told this is because the board is faster. I guess that is the same comparison between a Mustang and a Pinto. Logan's board was the Pinto. Riding the Mustang, he isn't half bad.

He is surpassing some of the older kids who have been riding for the summer months. I am curious to see what my $100+ will buy me. Will it end up collecting dust and lint next to the Bendaroos? or will this actually stick like hockey did? Hmm...

1 comment:

  1. Dont' sweat the ten bucks. Someday little Tony Hawk will get himself a sponsor. Or at least a convenient mode of transport around the neighborhood. Well worth it.

    ReplyDelete